Branding is not just for large corporations. Every business, small or large, can benefit from having a strong brand identity. Your brand is what others think of your business, so it’s critical that you understand how small business branding works. Here’s a list of the basic steps to building a strong brand:
- Be unique, don’t mimic big brands – You can always find inspiration in established brands, but try to distinguish yourself. Things such as your company name, logo, colors, tagline, etc. should be original and authentic. Otherwise, you won’t be remembered in the long run.
- Have a mission – When starting out a business, it’s important to establish why (besides earning an income). Are you trying to make better apps or sell more stylish clothes? Having a purpose for your business can help you communicate what makes your brand stand out.
- Stand for something – Connecting with your audience emotionally is key to earning their trust. A great way to achieve that is to stand for something they believe in. When customers like your values expressed in your style and marketing materials, they’ll connect more with your brand. You won’t attract everyone, but it’s better to appeal to a group of people than to no one.
- Choose a suitable logo – A great logo is essential to small business branding. You don’t need to spend a fortune on it, but it’s best to hire a professional logo designer. Your logo is, after all, the face of your business. It inspires trust and provides a way to express your brand’s voice. Check out more logo creation tips.
- Get a professional website – Your website is likely the first thing prospects will check before doing business with you. And you want to make a good first impression, right? Get it done professionally if you’re serious about your business. Remember also to update your website regularly – a website designed 5 years ago doesn’t look good on you.
- Maintain a blog – Blogs can help you provide valuable content that’s useful for your target audience. Posting well-written articles regularly may help you establish yourself as an expert in your field. You can also enable comments on your blog posts, so you can connect with your audience. Blog posts also elevate your website’s search ranking results as long as you make your articles SEO-friendly.
- Participate in local events – Getting your brand known is both a digital and physical endeavor. Participating in local events, such as committees, is an excellent way to spread the word about your brand. Attending, speaking or hosting conferences is also a great opportunity to increase brand awareness.
- Write press releases – Another ‘traditional’ way to build your brand is to write press releases. They can help you improve your brand’s image through newsworthy information. Has your business been busy recently? Send the news to the media, the web and on your website.
- Further develop your marketing – If you’ve got the budget, you may want to hire a marketer that can get your brand’s name out there. Professionals can help you reach the markets where clients are to be found through PR, newsletters, social media, SEO, and more.
- Be consistent – Once you have your business established, use your brand identity uniformly across all marketing channels: social media, stationery, your website, at events, etc. Don’t change your voice and style based on your audience – be the same for everyone. This reduces confusion among prospects and helps you build a strong brand.
At BrightPink Studio, we design & develop awesome websites, make gorgeous print materials, create logos and other branding items, and more. In our blog, we share news, tips & inspiration - like this article! If you enjoyed it, please share.